Champion One Room Schoolhouse

The Champion School was constructed in the first half of the 1800's.  At the time it stood next to what is now the grange hall in Champion.  It was the first school in the Town of Champion.  Classes were held in the building until the 1950's.  The School was closed shortly after the Carthage area schools centralized.  It was purchased and moved to the Black River Garden Center on Route 3.

In 1987 it was donated to the 4 River Valleys Historical Society with the understanding that the Society would have the building moved.  Major fund raising for moving and renovation of the school was kicked off in Nov. 1987. In June of 1988 the Champion School was moved to its present location, on the 4 River Valleys Society property in Great Bend, New York.

The school is 95% restored.  It is hoped that in the near future we will be able to invite elementary classes for a day of local history.  It will give these children a chance to use original desks and materials and learn a little about the area they live in.


Champion Schoolhouse


Champion Schoolhouse Plaque


Reproduction of this World Wide Web Site in whole or in part is prohibited without permission. All rights reserved.
Trademarks and copyrights are the property of the respective owners and may not be used without permission.


Web Sites by David J. Schryver
2003